We want to take a moment to recognize Ken Potis for being named Director of Group Training at Critical Mass. Ken has been working hard for us for over 5 years and has proven time and time again that he knows what it takes to run a unique, efficient, rewarding, and fun group training program that is adaptable to all abilities and goals. We are excited to see how Ken grows this program to continue to the best it can be!
Ken also has personal training sessions available. Here clients zone in on what they really want to change. They develop a plan with Ken at attack it full throttle! If you would like to book a PT session with Ken go HERE
A New Years Resolution
Did you know that most New Years Resolutions are unsuccessful? THEY ARE! There’s nothing better than exercising when it works with your schedule. The problem is you have a busy schedule and exercising takes a back seat on the ‘to do list.’
That’s why most gyms capitalize on you at this time of the year. They know what should be important to you… YOUR HEALTH and losing that damn extra 10 pounds you gained this past year. This is your year and you’re going to start it off right! So, you head to your local gym and sign up at a sickly cheap New Year’s rate.
That’s general membership plus all their classes! What a deal! You head in motivated and maybe even purchase some personal training to get an extra kick. Week one you’re in the gym 5 days a week. Week two you’re in the gym 3 days, then week three 2 etc. Now, comes February… it’s too cold to go out. Maybe you will do a workout at home, but then you sit on the couch and watch Showtime because Homeland is finally back on this February!
This is why big gyms are successful. They will get you in at a cheap rate. You’ll never show up and they keep billing your card, because their motivation is getting the masses through their doors. You need a gym that focuses on you!
Group classes shouldn’t be 25 people jumping around and flopping on the floor.
If your interested in group classes, then those classes should be small and intimate. This is just one of the things you should consider when looking into a gym or fitness challenge.
For you to be successful this 2020, you need to know how a gym focuses on you…
- How do they warm up?
- Do they teach technique or throw you into the chaos?
- Do they have nutrition guidelines?
- Do the trainers and other members hold you accountable?
- Is there a community feel?
You need structure! Say it again… YOU NEED STRUCTURE!
There are a few gyms here in the area that I highly recommend and personally enjoy to follow on social media. These gyms give you STRUCTURE and SUPPORT!
These gyms are run by people who are passionate about training and the relationships with their clients. Stop paying the big corporate franchised gyms who see you as a number and get with the mom and pop gyms.
If I didn’t’ mention you, I’m sorry. I don’t follow you on social media. So, hit me up with a FOLLOW at CriticalMassNJ
Senior Fitness. Benefits of Exercise
More than half the emergency room visits are from falls by our elders north of 65 years old. How many people know someone who fell and then it was all down hill from there?! Balance, strength, mobility are important in determining life expectancy and enjoyment of life.
You can weight train at 90 years old and make improvements on your fitness. You can run a 5k if you wanted. You’re never too old to grow! Here is a list of benefits of exercise and some fun videos of seniors completely dominating!
- Live longer. According to the World Health Organization, leading a sedentary lifestyle is one of 10 leading causes of death and disability.
- More efficient absorption of nutrients. Exercise helps support healthy digestion and allow your body to absorb nutrients more effectively
- Reduced risk of stroke or heart attack. Regular exercise lowers your risk of heart disease. It can also help to keep your blood pressure down. If you suffer from high blood pressure, exercise can even help to lower blood pressure.
- Better bone density. Exercise, especially strength training, protects against loss of bone mass. This leads to lower risk of osteoporosis and broken bones.
- Healthier Joints. Exercising can help control joint swelling and so can reduce pain caused by arthritis.
- Reduced risk of developing dementia. Physical activity reduces the symptoms associated with anxiety and depression and can lead to improved moods and increased feelings of well being.
- Prevent or delay disease. People who exercise regularly tend to recover more quickly from injury, illness, or surgery. That’s because a strong body is better equipped to fight infection and recuperate effectively.
So, in a Nutshell….
Truly, you are an athlete in life. You need to be aware of all that is your body. Keep it fine tuned so that you can be ready for anything! Here is some more information on senior fitness after 70! Harvard.edu
Check out CMass member Charlie Parr working on his balance.
Get signed up today at our Tinton Falls location!
Contact Critical Mass
Jersey Shore Mace was at Critical Mass
Jersey Shore Mace did some work here at Critical Mass this past weekend. This event was 2+ hours filled with information regarding the Mace and all it can be used for. The Mace is a tool once used for killing, but now we use for fitness. First being brought to light within social media, by ONNIT and then developed further by a crew of fitness professionals like Ken Potis, Leo Savage and Fred Mohr. Ken Potis started Mace training 3 years ago and took it to another level and developed a workout that actually burns more calories than the boot camps and other group classes here at the Jersey Shore. That’s why we incorporate this into our classes and is one of the featured tools used in the Lift. Swing. Flow. Fitness Challenge starting this January 5th 2020 here in Tinton Falls, New Jersey.
Getting fit and staying healthy is hard but if you surround yourself with motivating people and trust their methods, you will see results. This tool along with everything else offered is a great way to reach your goals. Trust the process. Know it will take some time, but you will have fun.
If you would like to learn more go here: Learn More